Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Gift (4 parts)

She hesitantly came through the crowd
Uneasy in her tattered rags
Following a wealthy merchant prince
With his offering in heavy money bags
Murmurs if wonder turned to disdain
As two tiny coins she offered
But the master turned to us to explain
Her gift was more than he proffered.
I wondered at this as I turned away
The present she gave was so small
Peter, I seemed to hear a voice say,
What if you gave all?

The thought continued to echo through my mind
Peter, what if you give all?
As we began to prepare for the feast
I was ready to answer the call
I'll go with you Lord, even to death
I confidently gave my vow
He looked at me with eyes so sad
Three times you'll deny, just hours from now
I couldn't accept it and I tried to defend
When they arrested Him at nightfall
As the rooster crowed and He looked at me
I new I had not given all.

Then despair set in and the darkest of nights
Was brighter than the blackness in my heart
Time seemed to slow and pass at a crawl
I needed renewal, didn't know where to start
Then Mary came running and told John and me
That Jesus was gone from the tomb
John took off running and I followed behind
We peered through the dark and the gloom
But no one was there just the empty clothes
And in hope I began to recall
The words that He spoke just a few days ago
Maybe I still could give all.

We sat and listened as the two told He walked along
How their heart burned as he talked with them
Then suddenly the Lord himself stood in our midst
Peace He spoke but everyone shrank back away from Him
I'm not a ghost he said and asked us for some food
remember all I shared with you, My Spirit I will send
You'll witness for me filled with power
Go where the Spirit leads from now until the end
I've preached the Word now, since that day
Wherever I could,and stood tall
Now the end I've reached, and here I hang
Thankful I finally gave all.

No comments:

Post a Comment